Beijing has officially become the first city in the world to host both the Summer and Winter Olympic Games – and this within 14 years of each other. Together with Zhangjiakou in Hebei Province
and Yangqing County, the city will be the stage for 15 sports categories in 98 events with the theme of a “Joyful Rendezvous upon Pure Ice and Snow” in 2022. And this it will be, as Russian Olympic Committee President Alexander Zhukov said “the Games in 2008 have left a profound legacy,” with most of the infrastructure, venues, and hotels already in place. But this time, they will (hopefully) be covered in snow!
Fiducia Management Consultants is very much looking forward not only to the exciting games but also to the positive changes this will bring to the city. For one, it will push the development of better quality snow-sports facilities, which many of our clients are involved with. In addition, it will make winter sport activities more popular among the Chinese people, a good sign for our clients in outdoor garments and equipment. The Chinese government also announced a new 180 km high-speed rail link between Beijing and Zhangjiakou, making the whole area more accessible and connected.
History of China and the Winter Olympics:
- The first Winter Olympics China participated in where in Lake Placid, New York in 1980. Unfortunately, none of the 28 Chinese athletes won medals.
- The first Chinese medalist was speed skater Ye Qiaobo, who won silver medals in the woman’s 500m and 1,000m categories in 1992 in Albertville, France.
- 10 years later, the first gold medal was won by Yang Yang in Salt Lake City in 2002, where she also broke the world record for the women’s 500 meter Short Track Speed Skating category.
- China won 3 more gold medals at the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia in 2014.
Fiducia Loves Winter Sports!
During the winter months, it is likely that you will bump into Fiducia team members on pistes across the globe, including Niseko in Japan, Chamonix in France, Kitzbuehel in Austria, and … Shemshak in Iran!!
- Fiducia Director Thaddaeus Mueller always tries to find the most uniqueplaces to go skiing – in this case Iran!
- Summer Zhang of our China Consulting Team loves skiing so much, she is taking a nap in the snow!
- Although he was born and raised in Hong Kong, Fiducia MD Stefan Kracht is a big mountain touring skiier.